Social media marketing is here to stay and can bring tremendous value to those who know how to leverage it. From gaining new clients, to gaining visibility, branding, and credibility, not to mention leads, social media marketing is one activity that everyone needs to”find” time for and “create”a budget for.As an individual seeking a new job or as a business seeking new clients, here are some very basic yet very key strategies to keep in mind when embarking on the social media marketing journey:
1. Reap what you sow: This saying applies very well to Social Media Marketing. If you don`t begin leveraging social media websites to promote yourself or your business and especially if your competition is, you`ll be left behind in the dust of their visibility & buzz.
2. Make Time: Either Make time for social media marketing for yourself / business OR find an expert who can do it for you. Not doing anything is not an option. Find a marketer who knows social networking.
3. Land your next opportunity: Remember the impression you want to cultivate online. You wouldn`t go to a face-to-face networking meeting and complain “how tired you are”, “how sleepy you are” etc. Then don`t do it online either. Online networking has reached a new level and you need to show your “networking” savvy by creating an impression which will land you the next opportunity, a new client or whatever you seek.
4. Don`t end up in jail or unemployed: If you don`t want to end up fired or end up in jail, be careful about what you say online. Professional behavior should be the norm (even for teenagers who don`t realize the impact of what they put out there on Facebook). Prospective employers, prospective clients, current clients, and anyone who wants to look you up, can and will. Once you`ve put something out there, it is out there forever.
5. Frequency matters just as much as content: Blogging once a month or writing a tweet once every week or posting a FB status once every other day is not the way to grow your visibility. All marketing activities require frequency, consistency, and long-term effort. You wouldn`t expect one advertisement in the Detroit Free Press to generate leads immediately or ongoing. Similarly, online marketing requires consistent, frequent, and long-term effort.
Again, remember, not doing anything is not an option.
Just like email and voicemail, yes, those now archaic technologies that we don`t even think about; texting, Facebooking, Tweeting, blogging, and audio & video podcasting are all slowly becoming mainstream. Social media marketing is also fun, quick, and a cost-effective way to get visibility and it provides the ability to connect with anyone, anywhere in the world.
Implement Social Media Marketing correctly and you`ll find that practice does make us perfect!